Hunger Relief FAQ

How do I qualify for food from Second Helpings?
As a Partner Agency of Second Helpings, an organization must:

  • Have tax exempt status under Section 501 (c) (3) of the Internal Revenue Code & be incorporated for the purpose of serving the ill, needy, seniors, low-income families, or minor children.
  • Have a kitchen inspected and licensed from your county health department or from Family and Social Services Administration.
  • Have at least one staff member or volunteer working each time meals are served, who is trained in food safety.
  • Must be serving multiple, free meals a month, and a minimum number of people at each meal.

Find more information on our Become a Partner page.


What do I do if I don’t have a licensed kitchen?
Contact the Marion County Health Department or your local county health department to obtain their criteria and an application.


How do I trained in food safety?
Sanitation or food safety training can be obtained in one of two ways:

ServSafe certification is taught at Second Helpings or other locations in the city. Visit for more information.
Marion County Health Department offers monthly classes, visit for more information. Contact your local health department or contact Family and Social Services Administration for a schedule of food safety classes


How do I become a partner and start receiving meals?
Please read our Become a Partner page in full, and then click the link to the New Partner Interest Form (in green text) in the last paragraph.