We encourage you to explore the options that are advantageous to you – and will benefit the Second Helpings’ mission to eliminate hunger and empower people.
• A gift of securities – You may earn a charitable deduction based on the fair market value on the date of the gift. If you have held the securities for more than a year, you could incur a capital gains tax when you sell the securities. But by giving the appreciated value to a charity, you could avoid that capital gains tax.
• An IRA rollover gift – As part of the Emergency Economic Stabilization Act of 2008, individuals age 70 or older may transfer up to $100,000 from a traditional or Roth IRA directly to Second Helpings without claiming the transfer as income. This legislation expires December 31, 2009, and transfers can only be made until the end of the year. You can obtain the transfer forms from your IRA custodian.
• A gift of life insurance – If you have policies you no longer need, life insurance can make a convenient tax-deductible charitable gift. When you assign Second Helpings as the beneficiary, you may have the opportunity for tax deductions on the premiums being paid or the cash value of the policy.
• Establishment of a charitable trust – A charitable trust may provide you or your family with income for life, while also avoiding capital gains taxes and supporting Second Helpings’ fight against hunger and poverty. A charitable trust is also flexible enough to be structured to your family’s needs.
• Charitable gift annuity – If you are 65 years-old or above, you can earn guaranteed income for life and a charitable tax deduction now – all while helping Second Helpings. It is also an alternative if you are seeking to reduce your stock exposure. (Minimum deposit of $10,000 required to set up annuity.)
• Vehicle Donations – Do you have a car you’d like to get rid of? We can turn it into meals for hungry Hoosiers!
For further information, please contact us at 317-632-2664 to inquire about planned giving, estate planning, naming Second Helpings in your will, or any of the options included here.