Before we kickoff another year fighting hunger and poverty in Central Indiana, we wanted to take a look back at some of the stories that defined 2018.
In May, we celebrated 20 years of service. To date, Second Helpings donors, volunteers, and supporters have rescued more than 30 million pounds of food, prepared and delivered more than 12 million meals, and trained more than 800 disadvantaged adults for careers in the food service industry. Dive into CEO Jennifer Vigran’s blog post for additional details on this historic milestone. Thanks to everyone who made the last 20 years possible. With your help, we look forward to transforming more Hoosier lives in the next 20 years.
In March, our annual fundraiser Corks & Forks became the first event in the history of Bankers Life Fieldhouse to qualify as a zero waste event. Thanks to the help of sustainable event consultant Julia Spangler, the dedicated staff of Pacers Sports & Entertainment, as well as our own staff and volunteers, Corks & Forks was able to achieve a waste diversion rate of 92%. This means that 92% of the event’s solid waste was composted, recycled or re-purposed, leaving only 8% to be disposed of as trash. We are thrilled that this signature event now serves as a reflection of Second Helpings’ organizational principle that waste is wrong.
Are you interested in joining Indy’s best chefs and bartenders on the floor of Bankers Life Fieldhouse on Wednesday, March 20th for Corks & Forks 2019? Grab your tickets now! Attendees will save $100 on tickets until January 2nd using the discount code “2 for 200.”
In 2018, Second Helpings kicked off a new partnership with the local chapter of Fellowship of Christian Athletes to ensure that local high school athletes were well fed prior to performing beneath the Friday night lights. Many high school football teams enjoy the support of booster clubs who provide pregame meals for student athletes. But what about the kids who don’t have that support system in place? Thanks to the partnership with FCA, 250 student-athletes at six area high schools (Crispus Attucks, Arsenal Tech, Shortridge, George Washington, T.C. Howe and Manual) didn’t have to worry about performing on an empty stomach. The partnership was so effective, that we’re planning to continue to serve local basketball teams throughout the winter months.
Just in time for Valentine’s Day, Amos Whiteside of Culinary Job Training class 103 surprised family members and friends in attendance for the commencement ceremony with a heartwarming grand finale. Whiteside proposed to his longtime girlfriend and graduate of Culinary Job Training class 102 Rachel Williams. Second Helpings is a place where remarkable events happen on a daily basis, but the graduation proposal was a first for the organization. Check out our blog post for a more detailed look at the proposal, or watch the Facebook Live video to see the commencement in its entirety. We are happy to report that Amos and Rachel have since married, and together they own and operate Ace’s Cafe within Irvington Flea Market. Congrats, Rachel and Ace!
Second Helpings was honored to serve as one of two charity beneficiaries of Gen Con 2018. We made so many new friends during this incredible event that brings more than 60,000 attendees to Indianapolis for “The Best Four Days in Gaming.” Gen Con’s commitment to philanthropy is certainly worth celebrating, raising more than $50,000 to support local and national nonprofits. Thank you, Gen Con!
We are so grateful for the many new partner agencies who allowed us to continue to grow and feed more hungry Hoosiers this year. See the organizations who joined the Second Helpings family in 2018 below, and learn more about the work that they do in this community. You can check out our full list of 90+ partner agencies here.
- Bridges Alliance of Johnson County
- Brightwood Community Center
- Changing Lives, Society of St. Vincent de Paul (4 locations)
- Christel House DORS (2 locations)
- Fellowship of Christian Athletes
- Greater St. Mark “5 Star Ministry”
- Hollis Adams Community Foundation
- Hope Center
- Indiana Youth Group
- Lighthouse Charter School
- Providence Cristo Rey High School
Along with our partners at Indy Hunger Network and friends at Indiana Motor Truck Association, Second Helpings was proud to expand the Food Drop program aimed at encouraging truck drivers with rejected loads of food to donate to local charities rather than take the loads to the landfill. After a 6-month trial period in Central Indiana that yielded 87,000 pounds in donated food, we are excited to see this program grow with its new, expanded focus.
Thanks for being a part of these great accomplishments in 2018. Imagine what 2019 holds. You still have (a few) days left for a tax-deductible gift in 2018. Your support ensures more lives will be transformed through the power of food in the year ahead.